Saturday 17 March 2012

Tennis ball bounce V11 & V12

Going to have to make this the last one for tonight. I should do a bit more and try to finish it off but I'm incredibly tired, and as previously evidenced, I make stupid mistakes when I'm tired.


I actually think the rotation on this one looks alright! It needs to roll just a teensy bit more towards the end, I think, but it's not too bad (as long as you don't think too hard about realistic physics). The problem comes when I try to apply squash and stretch...


It's the same rotation, just with additional squash and stretch on most of the bounces. I don't know why - maybe it's just me - but it looks really odd to me now. The way that it doesn't spin at all on the first bounce somehow seems very out of place when I add in the squash. Like the force of the contact with the ground should start it rotating? I don't even know! I've been staring at this too long. I've started to go blind.

I also noticed one horrible problem, I've managed to break the rig somehow - probably during my cock-up with the rotation keyframes. If you look closely:


The position control object has magically floated away from the ball and now sits somewhere in front of it. I have absolutely no idea what's happened - I don't recall the point it happened. In fact, I only just noticed when I went to adjust the position to maintain the ball's contact with the ground after applying the squash. It doesn't seem to have broken the animation at all but I'm starting to worry that moving it back into the proper place (when/if I can figure out how to do that) will mess things up. And that will be a whole day wasted. Note to self to ask Jon how to correct it.

Doh... I'm stupid.

Anyhow. I'm going to try one more time to correct the rotation tomorrow and polish things off a bit, then I'm going to need to move on for a while. I can only stare at this silly green ball for so long...!

No comments:

Post a Comment